11.30.2015

Because of Nancy: Scenes from Home

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who loves this time of year! Love it! This time of year brings out my inner Martha and... Nancy. Of course, you're probably asking, who the heck is Nancy? Right? 

Let me tell you about Nancy. I met Nancy in 1986. That's a LONG time ago. Nancy was the Martha Stewart of my childhood. She's my best friend's mom. Nancy was married to Barry, an elementary school principal. He was not only an educator, but a jack of all trades. He fixed things around the house, built additions to their house, made platforms for Christmas trees...and to me, that was genius. And sadly, he has passed a couple of years ago. But let me go back to Nancy. I think that I confused Nancy. No. Wait. Maybe I scared Nancy, since I was always hyper when I went over to my friend's house. No. Wait. I wasn't hyper. I was just being myself. Maybe "myself" was too much for Nancy to handle since my friend and I are polar opposites. 

I just remember Nancy always shaking her head and cracking a corner smile whenever I would say something a little off color. Basically, she didn't know how to handle me.

Nancy was a stay-at-home mom. And she was my decorating hero. Having a mom who worked throughout my childhood, I was kind of jealous that my friend had a snack waiting for her when she got home from school; a bed that was made with fluffed pillows on top; and a decorated Christmas tree in her bedroom during the holidays. 

Every room in the house had a Christmas tree. And each tree had a theme. And the themes changed over the years. There was the apple tree. The handmade ornament tree. The picture tree. The elegant tree. The "basement" tree.

If you didn't get in the Christmas spirit while visiting Nancy's house, you definitely, absolutely, positively had a problem. 

When I would get home, I would tell my mom about Nancy's decorations. And she would say, "That's because she has time. I don't have time. I work." I never really bought that excuse. I just think that my mom didn't really care about Christmas decorations. The tree, the one tree, was plenty. No need for wreaths, nutcrackers, bells, topiaries, pinecones...I think she thought that stuff was just clutter. More stuff to clean up and take down.

As the years passed, Nancy never wavered in her commitment to Christmas. And I never stopped believing that when I have my own home, I would be just like Nancy. No, I am not a stay-at-home mom, but I, too, have a commitment to Christmas. Nancy would be so proud. 

Funny thing though...when my mom comes over my house at Christmas time, she knows who my Christmas decor role model is because without fail she says, "Are you copying Nancy?"

Thanks Nancy! Because of you, I have a festive home for my kids to come home to after school. But sorry, no snacks or a perfectly made bed. 

Best,

H.
Living room Christmas tree. This year it's white and silver.


Picked up this Santa at Michael's. The lighted Noel I got from Big Lots of all places.




I've had these snowmen for a couple of years. I can't remember where I purchased them. They are sitting on my stairs. Kind of like sitting on top of the slopes.

Got this garland to spruce up this picture. I love this picture.

Every house needs a Nativity at Christmas.

This is one of the many Christmas plaques I have around the house.

Gracie would not get out of the way. She loves this tree, the red tree.


I love Santas. I have a weakness for jolly men who give out presents.

Pine cones with cinnamon sticks. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment