1.05.2014

Sam's Club and Designer Threads?

Sunday in our house is usually reserved for church. At 11:45 a.m., while most people are enjoying their Sunday brunch or hitting the mall for weekend deals at Macy's (do you think that I was going to use a non-shopping example?), we are still going strong and hititng our second hour of Sunday service, listening to the Holy Gospel. When it's all said and done, the entire service ( a regular service, not a holiday service) is 3 hours. Are you tired already? I have friends who ask, "What can you possibly do for 3 hours?"  My answer: a lot. I wouldn't even dare explain that we not only have a lengthy mass but also 3 traditional masses from which to choose (depends on the priest's mood...or the occasion). Most of the time, our priest chooses the Basilian Mass over the Gregorian and Cyril. 

Don't worry. You won't be quizzed later. The mass is divided into 3 main sections: the offeratory, the penitential rite (catechumen) which includes the letters, the Gospel and the sermon, and the eucharistic prayers. And mixed in between all of that is a whole lotta incense (use of incense needs its own post).  How much incense is used (a levelled or heaping spoonful) is up to the priest's discretion. Our priest is definitely a fan of the latter. If you've never been to a Coptic mass, I would recommend you come with your inhaler if you suffer from asthma or your Visine AC. Don't get me wrong, I love being Coptic and love my church. It's definitely a commitment, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

But today's post isn't about the Coptic Church. It's about what I found at Sam's Club. No, not jewelry (although they had a couple of pieces that were so delicious). We went to get paper products and appetizers for our get together that we'll be having on Christmas Day (January 7th or what I like to call Christmas Part Two). Do you know that both Christian Siriano and Isaac Mizrahi sell clothing (made in China) at Sam's club? What! When did this happen? 

When I did watch Project Runway (before I became exclusively addicted to Housewives of...heh, who am I kidding, I watch almost all of them), I remember voting for Christian in season 4. So, when I saw this ponte blazer (which I definitely don't need) for $10.37!!! I had to get it. It doesn't matter that I nestled it in my cart between an eye of round roast and chicken egg rolls. And it gets even better. A couple of steps after the blazer landed in my cart, I spotted cardigans by Isaac Mizrahi. Are these guys hurting for business? Or do they know how the female mind really works? 

The cardigans were $9.10. Hey, the deals know how to find me. I like Isaac Mizrahi. I remember watching him on talk shows in the 90s pushing his brand, and always feeling that we had a connection because we had the same mushroom haircut...except that he was a male adult, and I was a teenage girl. He has better hairstylists these days, and I don't let my mom touch my hair anymore. 

I don't traditionally purchase clothing from warehouse clubs, but like Forrest once said, "You never know what you're gonna get." And since the purchase of these items was jumbled with frozen chicken breasts, gargantuan onions and unnecessary pound cake, it did not count as a shopping trip. No harm done. 

Doesn't this make you want to peruse the clothing aisle at your local Sam's Club or Costco?

Best,


H.






No comments:

Post a Comment