12.02.2013

The Curse of the Mondays

I haven't quite figured out why people don't like Mondays. It's the start of a new work week for most people. A chance to start over; create new things; meet new people; entertain new ideas; do WONDERFUL things!

Don't get me wrong. I have had my share of the "curse of the Mondays" (I just came up with that, by the way), but usually the curse wears off after the first five cups of Donut House coffee. And if I may digress for a moment, I don't know what the heck I would ever do without coffee--another addiction I guess. 

I spent over 10 hours at work today. I can't help it; I love my job. I probably could have stayed longer, but I do have another job. Several other jobs.  

With any relationship, there are ups and downs. Days blessed with success and days doomed for failure...sometimes epic failures. But so what? Pick up and start over. Don't be defeated. Don't let one day dictate or set the mood for the rest of the week.

I think I found another weakness I have.  I am beginning to realize that I can't appreciate (or at times tolerate) people who don't love what they do.  They don't realize that having a job is like being in a relationship. And just like being in a relationship, when they start getting "comfortable" with their partners,  the other person (or job) might not be that in that into them and maybe even feel that they're taking them for granted. Some people get stuck in the courting phase and this explains the slew of job placements on their resumes. I can go on and on with all the similarities that include how you look, how you act, what you offer and what you sacrifice. 

I work with some pretty amazing people who have lives, other jobs and responsibilities outside of work. And even FAMILIES...and children. With all of that, I can understand why they might sometimes have the curse of the Mondays. 

But today was not an ordinary day or an ordinary cursed Monday. I just hope that tomorrow, which we have affectionately labeled in the office as "terrible Tuesday" is much better. I am anticipating that I will spend part of the day (based on today's events) giving pep talks, providing support, managing rogue employees and hopefully getting a new contract. 

How do you handle employees who constantly seem to have the curse of the Mondays?

On the bright side, I was able to wear this awesome crystal piece that I got (actually had one of my staffers order for me) from jane.com. Long story for another time.

Best,

H.








No comments:

Post a Comment