12.27.2013

Just Because

December 25th is over, and now it's time to start thinking of Coptic Christmas. Yes. Round two of the festivities. We don't exchange gifts on January 7th (Coptic Christmas). But it wasn't always this way. Growing up we had to wait until January 7th to get our gifts. Why? My parents wanted us to appreciate "our" Christmas. That thought process definitely had its pros and cons...especially for a 10-year-old. 

Pros for the adult: getting things at a significantly reduced cost; instilling in children an appreciation of religion and heritage
Cons for the adult: none

Pros for a 10-year- old girl: none
Cons for a 10-year-old girl: forgetting what you asked for three months earlier; going back to school in the new year and not showing off your Christmas gifts (like a pair of canvas Keds or the generic equivalent); having to explain to your friends (again at 10 years of age) that you really do celebrate Christmas but use a different calendar; enjoying candy canes while your friends are moving on to Peeps...

This Christmas started out with a just because gift from my sister-in-law. I love giving just because gifts. And it's also a surprise to receive just because gifts.  There's so much meaning and thoughtfulness behind just because gifts. Just because gifts mean "I don't have to do this, but I want to do this." They mean "I saw this necklace, spatula, trail mix or monogrammed stationery and thought of you. "  They also mean "I  really care about you, and I don't want to wait for your birthday, anniversary or Christmas to celebrate YOU."

When was the last time you gave a just because gift? If you haven't, try it. A just because gift can mean so much more than the obligatory Christmas gift or the traditional anniversary gift. 

I wanted to share some of the Christmas gifts (and my just because gift) I received from my family with you--hopefully nothing obligatory. 

Best,

H.


My Just Because gift from my sister-in-law. It is currently sold out online. You can find similar on Etsy here.  




Apple TV. Find here.


Rachel Ray Oval Casserole. Find here. 


Lancome's Le Vie Est Belle...from someone who always appreciates my smelling sweet, my husband.


Christmas cookies...another just because from my sister-in-law. And I don't have to give back the plate!



No comments:

Post a Comment