12.05.2013

Catch of the Day

So for those of us who are part of the Coptic Orthodox Church and are practicing, we are currently partaking in one of the major fasts in the church, and this is the Nativity Fast or Fast of the Advent. There is a lot (okay more than a lot) of fasting that goes on in the Coptic Church--over 200 days of fasting per year. The fasts all having meanings; all have different requirements; all include different hymns, etc. But they all have one common thread: fasting needs to include prayer. And let me tell you, fasting is much, much (much) easier to do than praying. I do wish I prayed more. But this isn't what today's post is about. Today, I wanted to share the catch of the day--what I cooked for the boys in the house. 

Since this fast does allow for seafood, I decided to make them poached salmon with onions, capers, chives, garlic, cumin and lemon-pepper. I also wanted to make home-made potato chips... let's just say that I was feeling inspired. I have found that adding vinegar (about a tablespoon or two depending on how many potatoes you will be using) to raw potatoes makes them crispier when you fry them.  And if that were not enough, I also made crab cakes. Okay... I... Lied. I preheated the oven to 425 F; took the crab cakes out of the box; placed them on a baking sheet; placed the baking sheet in the oven; took the baking sheet out of the oven and platted the crab cakes on this fancy plate. I am such an awesome mom!

I wanted to share these photos with you. Hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making dinner.

Best,

H.












No comments:

Post a Comment